Saturday, March 19, 2011

Germinating Seeds

A few days ago I started germinating my seeds for this years garden. . . . this is the first year I have done this I usually buy starts.  So I laid out all my seeds and sorted them out. Some you start indoors now and some go directly into the soil later in Spring.  It has been 2 days since I started the germination process and I check my seeds probably every hour. . . hoping for a little plant to emerge! hehe Well today was the day, some have started to sprout. So now that I am successful in getting the seeds to pop, I will give the oh so easy instructions!
Supply List:
Seeds
Bowl of water
Paper towels
Ziploc bags Size small
Sharpie
Kitchen towel
Old shoe box, with dime size holes punched in side

Directions:
1. Figure out which seeds you want to germinate, I did tomatoes, lettuce, Bell Peppers, Spinach.. . ect. 
2. Label each Ziploc bag with seed type, and date.
3. Dip paper towel in water, remove and lay flat on kitchen towel.
4. Sprinkle seeds on paper towel, then fold up and put into Ziploc bag. DO NOT ZIP SHUT they need air.
5. Place all baggies of seeds into shoe box, close box and put in dark cool place.

Seeds should sprout in a couple days! Then you are on your way to your very own organic garden starts for a fraction of the cost to buy them.

Check back for the next step as I pot my seeds and get them ready to be planted outside in my garden!!!
Here are a few pictures!!

My very CLUTTERED Seed Box!!!

 Labeled with name and date.

 All in the shoe box getting ready to go in the closet!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this, we just mapped out where my garden is going, and I think it'll be a decent first garden! Can you start anything from a seed? I have only bought starters, and are there any ones that are better to buy as starters instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Fallon! You can grow everything from Seeds! There are some which I listed above that you would start now and some like squash, melons and such that I will plant a seed directly into my garden middle of May. It doesn't matter if you buy seeds or starts they usually produce about the same time. Last year I bought a tomato plant that already had 1 green tomato on it and I had some of my own starts that were 1/4 the size and they ripened about the same time. So this year I am doing all my own seeds and saving the money I would spend on starts! I also have some amazing affordable DIY's for making supports and growing veggies up for people who don't have the space to grow a traditional garden. I will post them SOON! Let me know if I can help you with anything. If you are wanting to can Salsa and spaghetti sauce I would stick to 1 or 2 different types of tomatoes and grow at least 5 plants that will be used just for canning!!

    ReplyDelete